Three tacos and a side of guac.

Are you hungry for tacos now after reading the title? Ha! Yesterday I was texting a best friend of mine some advice and tips/tricks I've learned when it comes to clean eating. The truth is, I have been maneuvering my way through that kind of thinking and eating for a long, long time and truly have built up some wisdom there. But also....there's always a "but", isn't there? 

I also texted her and said two things-one, I'm trying to get myself back on track with really good gut health and energy despite having this knowledge and two, I just ate three tacos and a side of guac with chips because I went running for the first time in a long time and got too hungry.  So when reading my blog and seeing all the pretty and fun, you've gotta remember I'm not out here being fun and creative and eating clean all the time! I'm trying to figure stuff out too, totally eating my weight in tacos.  Trying to find that elusive "balance" in life we all dream about, and honestly just doing my best most of the time. That's it! I just choose to put the pretty on the internet because it's my meditation, my gratitude practice, my purpose in life to show others the GOOD that is.  In my journal is where I put the things I'm puzzling over that feel hard and challenging. For example, my 39 year old body is a bit of a mystery to me at times, compared to even 35! 

Let's get into the good though, shall we?
Most importantly-my girls have been at church camp all week with my older sister and they come home TODAY!! Last week was Summer Extreme at our church in the evenings and we hardly saw Brett. So we're going on about two weeks of not seeing each other much and our family cannot WAIT to be reunited tonight! Also, how incredible is it that my sister is taking kids to church camp not just one week, but two?! I think it's absolutely amazing of her. My girls feel totally comfortable around her and stayed FIVE nights at camp. Seeing the pics throughout the week of them playing, engaging with others, doing games, chores, and Bible studies has filled us up so much. This has always been my prayer and hope-that they would be confident and brave girls who would live BIG in this world. 
The summer views out back are especially pretty with the fog. 
A few Nikon pics!

You know these light sparkles are just absolutely my favorite. Sunshine and water? A winning combo for me! I heard the advice "just add water" somewhere (probably on IG) and it stuck. It's just so true. When I'm feeling overwhelmed or too tired, adding water (a shower, a swim, a drink, driving over the lake, etc.) just helps. 
We celebrated a big birthday this week in our house!! 
Next up, I'm turning 40 in early September. 
Found my favorite water EVER at Sam's Club!! This is a first! Topo Chico is really good on its own and also with Pink House Alchemy syrup and fresh mint. Try it and thank me later.
We only have doughnuts a couple of times a year around here so the birthday girl was really excited about these. 
Wrapped presents for my Daddy on Father's Day! Brett thought the colors looked girly, but my dad DOES have 3 girls so...looks fine to me! We got him a mini Keurig in the prettiest green color. My dad gets to retire soon after 40 some years (I think!) in the grocery business. We are going to plan a retirement party for him on the farm. 
While the girls were away Brett and I had part of a day to spend together. This is very rare for us! We ate at the best Indian restaurant we've ever been to (inside the India Mart in Bentonville) and then checked out a new Asian grocery store. We also worked in the garden together.
Taped a few things from Illustrated Faith on top of my painted art journal page.

Brett has all the ideas for the garden and I just show up and ask how I can help. We have a lot of zucchini, squash, and cucumber right now I'm going to make stuff with today.
The one that got away! I did some shopping this week at thrift stores and T.J. Max while the girls were at camp and wanted this flowery robe thing so bad but couldn't figure out where I would wear it. Of course now I'm picturing it with a t-shirt, jeans, and clogs and am regretting not buying it. :( 
I stayed at a tiny house nearby the girls camp for a couple of days in case they needed me. One of them did need me for a few hours and I was glad I'd listened to my mom gut and stayed nearby. 
I've been reading this and it is eery how much it reflects the news swirling around librarians. I don't mention that stuff a lot on here but it's tough to be a librarian right now and if you're laughing and thinking "what is she talking about?!" then you haven't tuned in fully to the news in the last year. 
Saw some praying hands! I thought this was a nice symbol of peace.
Bought myself the COOLEST magazine ever. 
Also tried a new, expensive yogurt that was divine and a candle that smells absolutely amazing. Little ways to treat myself. 

Your educator friends are probably working more than you think, even on the "summers off".  :) :) 

Went for my first run on my favorite trail in a long time. I've been having a difficult time with my energy, gut health, and back lately. But thanks to my patient and very helpful chiropractor, getting back into the swing of things with healthy food prep, and rest I'm slowly getting strength back. Both Brett and my chiro told me I was overdoing it. I am totally an all or nothing kind of gal and they said I needed to do less reps with the kettle bell. 
I'm listening and learning to follow their advice. 
On the run I had this one clear thought-you HAVE to keep running. It just unlocks something in me that nothing else does. It's strengthening, healing, and yes-hard.  But totally worth it. It's a love/hate relationship with me!

Also, this turtle was slowly creeping across the path and I stopped to point at it so a biker wouldn't run over it. 
WEIRD.
Work in progress for my library. I have BIG dreams and plans I'm slowly chipping away at over the summer.
Outfit of the day.
Brett is so sweet to bring me flower bouquets every now and then. We like the carnations from Sam's or Wal-Mart because they last forever! This was a big bouquet I weeded out and made into a smaller one, making it last for probably close to a month or so!
I am just loving this soft button-up for summer. The fabric is actually cooler than a lot of my short-sleeved shirts! 

We had some big storms rip through here recently and the skies it brought with it were so incredibly unique. 




I just love seeing all of the things growing and blooming this time of year! It's my favorite thing to take a walk around the yard and see what's there. The girls will usually join me too. 

A little view of my kitchen counter I liked.
Gluten free table crackers, nut butter, and hemp seeds are YUMMY.
This was yummy too! This is an overnight oatmeal/chia seed combo I made and then I added the berries, hemp seeds, and a drizzle of honey the morning I ate it. 
I really am trying to build up my collection of delicious and healthy recipes/food prep now before the school year starts again.  I'm trying new recipes, printing things off blogs and putting them in my recipe binder, and trying to make things easier on myself before August. I'll also be filling my freezer with food prep before August gets here too so if you have any favorite recipes you like to make ahead and freeze, please share!

Well, it's going to be a really busy day for me! Time to get up and get productive. I have a podcast about health with Mel Robbins I think I'll fire up while I get things done. 
My question for you, is what is really life giving right now for you? 
What is good and true? 
I hope you have several things that came to mind and also have something to look forward to. My favorite thing in the world is to have a little something on the calendar to look forward to. Right now it's a beach trip, an anniversary getaway, a Buffalo River outing, and a concert in the fall with Brett.


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Room for the Rosy: a new blog.

Daily joys lately.

Getting into the swing of summer, one good thing at a time.