Wrapping up 2022 and hello 2023!

Hey there! Happy new year to you! Are you one that likes to do a lot of reflecting on the past year and dreaming for the future? I do some, but also lean towards a work in progress kind of mindset. Meaning, I don't believe that progress happens immediately when the clock strikes twelve.  It's the thousands of little steps, decisions, conversations, and choices that build up to a life well lived, a life lived differently. So no, I won't be sharing any goals on the blog but I will always show up for the gentle reminder to others to tend and take care of yourself and make room for the rosy things in life. If I'm not completely stubborn about slowing down to notice the good things or to give myself even enough energy margin to notice I'll have days, weeks, and months go by where all I recall is the hard.  

Wouldn't it be sad to get to the end of the year and only remember the tough stuff? Today I remember the hard, but also the happy.  Starting with a trip to my college campus with my twin! I thought the campus would look wildly different, but once we started weaving in and out of the roads and seeing buildings it felt like I was there only a few days ago. For real. It was the wildest feeling in the world! How am I creeping up on 40 now?! 

Over the break I had a list of random things I wanted to try, including making my own juice. It went well! This was a beet, apple, two carrots, ginger, and lemon juice. I just added these things along with a cup of water to my blender and then strained it really well afterwards. I saw a very similar bottle of juice for $6.99 at Whole Foods later.  Save your pennies and make this yourself!

Favorite magazine, ever. EVER. I bought it to browse on our NYC trip and I seriously haven't seen anything like this publication before. And I'm a total magazine gal, or used to be at least. They all start to feel the same now days. But this is a true gem. I also like Better Homes and Gardens and the Drew Barrymore magazine. 
We got new markers for Christmas! Testing out the colors. 
I did a LOT of cooking for our house and other family members as well for Christmas Eve and day. It was really fun and delicious!! Also, I am a total list maker. It's how I get everything done and stay organized. I have a list for work and a separate one for home and I also meal plan this way too. 

Are you a list maker? 

Driving home from a playdate at a neighbor's house. 
Also, another favorite part of the break was getting to see friends!

We went on a hike and everything was beautifully frozen. 
I love finding little treasures in the woods. It never gets old to me! I think that's partly why I find it so odd that I love New York SO much because I also love the opposite end of the spectrum and wandering around in nature. 
I have read a ton over the break. This book, Breadsong, was one of the top books I've ever read.  In fact, I'll probably go read it again! It is part memoir/part cookbook. Just a brilliant story.

Christmas day food, part two!  
I got to see Grandma and Papaw on Christmas! As probably the biggest fans of my blog-hello to them on the other side of the screen. :) 

Speechless.
I made a healthier/more delicious version of a cheeseball. It's from the blog iFoodreal I think. This dip was so good and kept well in the fridge for days after! I'll definitely repeat.
I don't really even like working puzzles that much but got this one for the box. It's a very Sara box!
Ha! Probably cooking oatmeal and caught reading.  
Brett made yummy ramen one night! This is so easy to do at home. I need to remember it for the extra busy nights, which we're about to be in a season of again. We do buy the more expensive ramen broth from Wal-Mart when we make this and it's just easier that way. 

So I think I mentioned in the last post that I dried oranges this Christmas season. I hung them up and just packed them away with the Christmas decor yesterday. We'll see if they last until next year! For some reason, I just can't get enough oranges this winter! It's the color, taste, and smell. Just everything about them. I had some old oranges that weren't any good to eat that I've been simmering on the stove that smell divine too.




We took a very long hike on our own property and found so many little treasures! We also had a neighbor call out to us that we'd never met and got introduced quickly. Then her dog decided to come with on the rest of our hike and we had to deliver it back home afterwards. It was a funny, memorable hike indeed!
A highlight of the break was going to the fashion exhibit at Crystal Bridges. I'd been wanting to go for months and it did not disappoint! We are so lucky to have Crystal Bridges so close! This was probably my favorite snapshot from the exhibit.
Love everything about this painting.

I mean! I just could not even handle these fancy dresses. Have you ever SEEN a more perfect dress?! I've never worn anything like this but would in a heartbeat. 
Don't know the story here, but don't need to. Love.


These clothes literally make my heart go pitter patter. I would wear every single piece, especially that purple dress! 
Such an amazing exhibit! I am so glad we don't have to fly to NYC to see creative, innovative, unique art.
Brett got my watch battery changed for me! Hooray! The 90's child in me is totally pleased with this classic look. 
The most perfect shoes. I still can't decide if I should try them on and buy them or not. I think if I could wear them year round I would, but I wouldn't do velvet in summer. But sigh....they are just so pretty!
It has felt like spring the past few days and I've noticed how much more deeply I've been breathing. I just LOVE, love the warmer weather. I know the people who adore the snow probably won't like this statement, but I'd be fine with a mild winter!  Also, we are wanting to spruce up our yard and garden, porch and patio. The cows have been getting into our yard on repeat and somedays people driving by close the gate to shut them in our yard. (ugh)

I guess it's better than them roaming the road and someone running into one but they have completely demolished our expensive bushes/landscaping and pooped all over the yard. I *think* Brett has a solution for keeping them out but we've really got a blank slate to work with in the yard. I guess that's a good thing? I do love to dream up things for the yard and garden this time of year. I'm wanting to focus more on flowers. 
These slower mornings to have time for coffee and photography are such an amazing treat. I need to figure out some ways to tend my soul and nourish my own self as things get busy again with the return of work and extra activities afterwards. 

One thing I do is wake earlier than everyone else, even if it's just to have 10 minutes for a cup of coffee. I also bought an electric tea kettle and good tea for my library. That will be a sweet little treat!
I took down all the Christmas and shopped my own house/decor to set everything just right for the new year. It feels SO nice. The girls even noticed the change in the house, in a good way. I also got the pantry, fridge, cabinets, and my car cleaned out over the break. Now if I could just tackle the laundry room.

Lots of coffee and tea drinking happening over here! In summer I always forget about hot tea, but I do love the Tazo or Republic of Tea brands. My sister also served me a cup of delicious Celestial Seasonings vanilla spice tea. There's just something comforting about a cup of tea. 


Dried oranges! These photos were all taken with my Nikon. I really need to get in the habit of carrying it around with me, even at work. Once I do pick it up and use it I'm always astounded at the difference in quality of photos versus my phone ones. I know phones have amazing cameras these days, but there truly still isn't any comparison to a DSLR. In my opinion at least. :) 
I've been working on a little book project for months and months. Just for my own personal use, but maybe I'll list it for sale too? The book will be filled with happy, rosy, interesting things. That's it, no words or writing, just the good stuff of life to flip through whenever you fancy. I have almost 400 photos saved for the project so far! 

A lot have been posted on the blog over the past few months and some haven't. Is this something you'd want to hear more about? 

I am going to figure out how to ease back into the work week and tend myself well by going to bed on time, staying hydrated, moving my body and getting my heart rate up, and continuing my deep dive into reading.  I am so happy to look ahead to 2023 and wonder what it will hold. 
Happy new year to you, my fellow rosy-seeking friends! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Room for the Rosy: a new blog.

Daily joys lately.

Getting into the swing of summer, one good thing at a time.