The gathered good.

Happy rainy Saturday to you. I'm sitting in the dark, with the exception of our Christmas tree lights.  The rain is falling steadily outside and I'm so thankful I'm not doing car drop-offs and running into work trying to stay dry. Today, it's good to be home. 

Although, I love my job, truly! Yesterday I got to host the school-wide spelling bee and at the end the whole school was chanting the winner's name as I presented the trophy to him. This is the good stuff. 

That's what this post is about again too. The little bits of good I've gathered on my phone or camera over the past couple of weeks.  The list of not so great things in my world sometimes feels louder than all of this but the truth I've found I DO find what I go looking for. Last week I told myself to set some of the heavier things down and turn my focus towards the happy, joyful, interesting, and beautiful. This is that. :) 

My family member sent me this mug and it is literal perfection. It's an extra thick mug and holds a lot and even has a rainbow on the bottom of the cup when you finish the drink of choice inside, in this case-homemade hot chocolate.
I rarely take naps because I really don't like trying to wake up and get right back to chores and the day. But this particular afternoon I did take a nap and woke up to this beautiful sight. 

Lots of cloud and sky pictures in this post and truthfully I didn't even post them all! The sky puts on such a captivating show this time of year. Maybe I notice it more because everything else is so bare? Maybe I treasure it more because the daylight feels so minimal? Whatever it is, I'm making a case for clouds.  Definite mood lifter.
Isn't there a line in You've Got Mail about a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils? That's what this reminded me of. One of my favorite movies that takes place in one of my favorite cities ever. Plus, as soon as I got my librarian job I immediately wanted to channel Meg Ryan vibes in this movie and make my library look like her shop. 
We took the dirt road home one day just to see this. We haven't been out exploring this kind of stuff in a while and I miss it big time! 
My Sunday self sometimes prepares salads.  I think I enjoyed two of these salads and then it didn't sound good anymore. I tell you what, this time of year a cold salad or smoothie does NOT sound good at all. I'd rather have all the carbs, hot soups, and hot drinks. I've been trying to mix it up with both my eating and exercise and still take care of myself but not be quite as rigid as I was in the summer. 

View from my back deck! The little moon slice just captures my attention instantly.

Our dreamy, little homemade tree.

Our drive to all three of our schools in the morning truly is the prettiest!

Christmas shopping with my girls and seeing five million things I wanted to buy for myself, but didn't. Aren't these fake floral things just a dream?! 
I've been drawing on the iPad a lot lately as an end of day treat to myself. I enjoy it so much and feel like I'm only getting started with all that the app plus my brain and creativity can do!
I mean.....
I've said it before and it's worth repeating. I LOVE living near the water. Can't imagine driving home without it, honestly.
Another little iPad drawing. Although I'll probably work on this one some more. That's my process typically-I'll draw something and then either work on it repeatedly after or just delete it if I really don't like it. 
Brett put lights on the house. :)
This is the cozy I'm craving for winter! It's really my least favorite season, as far as the early dark and all. But I just keep trying to be gentle with myself about it and find the cozy ways to enjoy this season.

Candles are a huge way I do that. Each evening I light candles in several rooms in the house. It's all part of my winter ritual.
All this color made me smile! 
Our little tree from the farm. This year I'd had enough of our artificial tree and really didn't want another. This is a complaint in general I've noticed a lot on blogs and Instagram-things have just gotten so styled and too perfect.  I told Brett I wanted a tree that resembled Charlie Brown's tree or the one in Home Alone. Something homemade and imperfect and yet, perfect.
Success.
Sometimes I still like to collage and paint in my art journal! 


We have another little artist in the house too.
I made this salad and it was amazing! I actually made it several times. I can't remember what it was called, but it was from Half Baked Harvest's blog. She's my most favorite recipe source!

10! We had a birthday party with cousins and the girls made gingerbread houses.

The shadows sure do put on a show. 

What's good in your world? 
Do you have any winter rituals or routines you stick to? 
Around here we have just a few more days of school until winter break. Brett's turning 40 soon! We have lots of family and friends to see. I'm trying to find new ways to exercise and incorporate those in along with running, while still waiting to run a half marathon in April. I'm wanting to bake, cook, wrap little treats for my friends, drive to see more lights, and fully enjoy all this Christmas season has to offer. 

Comments

  1. Your blog is always something I look forward to. Your cloud pics are brautiful!! Grandma Rodgers was amazed at the clouds in AR. I thi k it was because in CA. you couldn't see the sky for buildings & smog😷
    Love you 😍 , grandma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Room for the Rosy: a new blog.

Daily joys lately.

Getting into the swing of summer, one good thing at a time.