Rosy/good things

Morning all! I'm so glad and honored you've taken the time to see what rosy I've made room for. I get little words in passing sometimes from people telling me they like the blog. I like the blog too. This week and year really, hasn't gone at all like I would have expected. In some ways, extraordinarily better and magical and surprising. In other ways, shockingly filled with grief. But, I see my choices as either dig my heels in and fight like crazy to cling to the good or give in to the stress, grief, and hard things. 

You know which one I pick.  :) Let's get into it! A trip to the nursery (even if it's Lowe's!) is always a winter favorite. All that warmth and green. Just glorious. 

We got to meet family we hadn't seen in a very long time for breakfast. Locals-we ate at The Rolling Pin and it was delicious! I hadn't been in years. I had a country breakfast-sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, and biscuits and gravy. A little bonus was seeing a favorite co-worker of mine when I walked in and getting a hug and a chat and THEN seeing my kindergarten teacher from when I was a kid. We hugged and then stood there holding each other's hands and visiting. She is the loveliest person. 

It was so wonderful to catch up with family. 
I read something in the past week that said "just do the work". I've read this message before but this time it really stuck. It meant to stop waiting to feel inspired or that it's the "right" time and just get to it. Of course, the writer's sentiments were towards creating but I find it applies to both creating and exercising/my health.  This is a little art journal work in progress. The paper piece in the bottom right is handmade and came from a dear student of mine. 

Took my own little Merry Christmas, self-timer photo. There are actually chai tea packets in the mug! (lol) 
I spent some time on the back deck repotting our indoor plants. Such a calming, enjoyable activity for me! This little plant is a wonder. We got this at our aunt's funeral, back in September. There were so many plants left over and this is the one Betsy chose to take home. I expected it to be a special reminder of the day and then be tossed out after a few weeks.  Yesterday after I pinched all the dried out parts of the plant off I realized it is very much alive and green and worth tending and keeping! The little flower was an added bonus too. 

Look at fiddle! We got this fiddleleaf plant when it was MUCH, much smaller. It has grown so tall and healthy it needed a new pot! I'm very pleased and proud seeing all my little plants thriving. It's the small things folks. I also have a ton of plants at my school library I need to give some attention to over the winter break. 
Grapefruit is such a refreshing treat this time of year. 
I just loved this book at the public library! We go to the public library several times a month and it's an excellent way to get ideas for books for my own library.  I also read School Library Journal to get ideas as well! 
Real life in winter for us! We try to keep both fireplaces going to keep the house warm. Our heater just doesn't cut it. Brett cuts our firewood and I try to always help him unload it. We used to go get firewood with my dad when we were little, so this is reminiscent of that. 

Just little works in progress from the iPad. I adore drawing on the iPad and could sit and do it for hours. In real life a little bit a day is how it happens.

An unexpected crisis calls for polka dots and a matcha latte from Starbucks.

The water is always my favorite. 

Exploring Eureka Springs with the family! We went to our most favorite coffee place in the world while there, The Daily Roast. We've been going there for at least 15 years. The nicest couple owns and runs it, and the coffee is truly out of this world. The line moves slow but the coffee proves being worth the wait. I had the gingerbread latte the last time we went, with oat milk. 



We also visited the Stewart Family Lights, a local attraction filled with thousands of lights and inflatables. There's Christmas music playing and it's just a favorite family tradition of ours for the girls and I to go with Brett's mom each year. It was SO cold this year though, even our faces were freezing.

Look at this stunning work of art a student gave me! This is a cookie and one of the most delicious treats I've ever tasted. It was such a thoughtful, lovely gift. It tasted like licorice. I wish I had another!

Let's Celebrate!
In January we're going to be learning about the ways in which we're both the same and different and it applies to how we celebrate too. The kids were so excited to see balloons in the bookcase!

I actually did several things to freshen up the library space before winter break, so we come back extra inspired and ready for new learning! 

I printed off my photos to make bookmarks for the teachers and staff at school. They seemed to really appreciate this small gesture!

I'm still absolutely loving our little Christmas tree. I definitely think this needs to be our new tradition! I don't miss the artificial one at all.


I also wrapped books for teachers and staff and it was so fun to watch them come in and unwrap one! 


One evening on my way home the sky turned this brilliant ball of orange and then I followed a rainbow on the rest of the drive. Magic.

I just noticed in this pic that I need to dust the treadmill off! Like, literally. With winter here and extra dark and also because of feeling the need to do more than just hit the running all the time, I'm taking a more balanced approach to my exercise currently. My goal is to use the kettlebell and do other strength exercises, plus keep running several times a week. 

When it gets closer to April I'll need to start upping my mileage again so that I can be ready to run the half marathon! My body doesn't do well on the treadmill, but it's hard to have the time to run outside. I'm just doing the best I can for now.

Wrapped some treats for co-workers! This was parchment paper and fabric.

We recently cleaned out our games, puzzles, and toys and the girls rediscovered some old favorites! I love organizing and cleaning things out. I've always been pegged as disorganized I feel, as being a creative. But each year I find myself getting more and more organized and seeing the positive effect on my creativity and overall stress level. Chaos does not equal calm to me. 
Another winter routine of mine is to light the candles in the house each evening as the dark falls. 


I tried something new-drying oranges! Why have I never done this before? Next I am going to string them up for a banner or put them in some fizzy water with my Pink House Alchemy Hazelnut syrup. I'm also going to try candied oranges this week, made with just honey.

Isn't this just real life? A pile of mundane dishes and chores waiting to be tended to with beauty and twinkle lights in the background. Life I've learned, isn't one thing or another. It's just all kinds of events and feelings wrapped up in one.


Last, a little altar of sorts. 

Things that are grounding to me, causing me to pause for gratitude or see the world differently include:
writing down the good things in my journal
watching old favorites like The Preacher's Wife and Gilmore Girls
following along with Under the Sycamore's travel adventures on IG
exercise
reading book after book
cooking new things
being intentional about my outfits and style (a new post coming soon!)
listening to good music (James Bay is a favorite)
beginning to think about the new year
drinking hot tea
watching Anne with an E with the girls :)

Now, happy Christmas to you. 
I truly hope you get some time to sit under a warm blanket and set your to do list aside and just BE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Room for the Rosy: a new blog.

Daily joys lately.

Getting into the swing of summer, one good thing at a time.